Tuesday, April 8, 2014



So, as I mentioned in my previous post, Tim Mayer and I attended Planet Comicon in Kansas City to promote the first issue of The Anywhere Man. It was a really great time, and I think that people seemed to respond to the first issue. We were at a table in artist alley, which basically means that we were in one of many rows filled with tables of creators of various stripes; there were people with comic books (like us), webcomic folks, fan art, illustration, novelists, crafts of all different varieties, and a number of other types of people that I can't recall at the moment. All in all, it was a great variety, and I had the chance to talk with some very nice folks.

Here's a picture of our table with half our nice neighbor Jeff Porter. Check his stuff out. It's very cool:

Displaying IMG_20140314_102536908.jpg

And of course, the costumes. There were the usual suspects (super heroes, movies, etc.). While this costume was obviously not the most complex, it was certainly my favorite from all three days:

Displaying IMG_20140316_140457252.jpg

A fun thing about that weekend: the Big 12 basketball tournament was being held in downtown Kansas City at the same time as the con. This made for a really interesting mix of people. Not bad, just interesting. There was a lot of mingling with sports fans and comic nerds. Good stuff, I think.

Another fun thing: both Wil Wheaton and Scott Snyder walked by our booth. That was neat. I geeked out a little both times, but I suppose that was the right venue for that sort of behavior.

Last fun thing: I took an alternate route to my accommodations. Lodging in downtown KC is somewhat expensive, so I opted to use AirBNB. I've done that once before with my wife in Minneapolis. In that case, we had a whole apartment to ourselves. When I went to KC, I stayed at a boarding house of sorts. So the homeowner was their as were a few other short time tenants such as myself. It was a great old house in a neighborhood about three miles south of the convention center, so I just took the bus rather than deal with parking. All in all, a good experience and I highly recommend AirBNB as an alternative to hotels. My wife and I will probably use it again when we go to Denver next month.

So that's my Planet Comicon report. It was a great time. Hope to be back next year!





No comments:

Post a Comment